Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mercury Glass Pumpkins

I am a lover of pumpkin. Anything and everything pumpkin is my weakness. Pottery Barn came out with their September Edition and I about died. First and foremost their prices are far from a budget that I even come close to having. Secondly, I knew there had to be a way around spending $40 for a pumpkin that's up once a year. So I decided to make a Pottery Barn knockoff.

This is what I fell in love with! Aren't they fantastic?!

Pottery Barn image
I went around town finding the cheapest, yet coolest looking pumpkins I could find. First stop was the dollar store. They had awesome ceramic pumpkins in neutral colors. I almost didn't want to paint them! I was looking for a variety of pumpkins that varied in shapes and sizes. Joann's and Michaels usually have good deals on their foam filled pumpkins. Be sure to take a coupon, they can be pricey. 


I relied on Krylon Spray Paint once again, to do the trick. And it worked! Here's what you need.

Materials:
- A variety of pumpkins. I went with about 10 pumpkins all varying in shapes and sizes. 

- 1 can of Krylon Metallic 

- 1 can of Krylon Brushed Metallic

*I definitely suggest purchasing the spray paint at Walmart. It's the cheapest that I've found. You won't be using an entire can.


Tutorial: 
(There are two different ways I went about doing it.) Trial and error right?!

- Spray the pumpkins with the brushed nickel paint first.

- Don't let the the paint dry completely. I suggest, almost immediately moving onto the metallic. Sprits the metallic paint over the pumpkin so that it produces a spotted look.

- Another option would be to spray the metallic, lightly, over a colored pumpkin so that the pumpkins original color seeps through. There isn't a wrong way to do it. Like I said, trial and error.





What do ya think?! What would you do differently? Let me just tell you, the total cost for all the pumpkins plus materials was around $25. You can't even buy 1 pumpkin for that price at Pottery Barn. I'm super excited to show you what I've done with these! Coming up! 

5 comments:

  1. Super cute!!! That seems like something even I could do;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your creativity! Next time I'd try to wrap the stem somehow on the last one to keep the natural color. Can you decorate my house Pottery Barn style on a Target budget? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NerdMom: It's super easy and fun! Of course you can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqueline: Good input! I'd love to help you find fun stuff for your place! Remember I love old furniture and refinishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, Natalie! I find the best silvers and metallic paints are in the can from Ace Hardware instead of sprays. You can buy a small can and a sponge brush for about the same price as a can of spray, and it lasts forever. Also try using a can of bronze and stipple it in the cracks. It will give it more depth and dimension.

    I love how you placed your pumpkins on top of candle holders! It is also time for grapevines to die out - don;t forget to collect some trimmings and use them as an accent!

    ReplyDelete